Confession: Last year I tried to watch Season 1 of ‘Orange is the New Black’, but couldn’t get past episode 1. I don’t know why, but it didn’t capture my attention. Well, call me a bandwagon fan, because when Season 2 dropped on Netflix, and posts began to pop up all over Facebook about how good it was, I HAD to see what the fuss was about. So what did I do? I made myself watch episode 1 from Season 1, and just like that… I was hooked. I didn’t know how to stop. I didn’t want to stop. I craved it. Whenever I was away from home I found myself thinking about the characters, wondering how’d they end up in jail. Crazy. It took me two weeks to binge watch Season 1 and Season 2, causing me to learn a few things about myself:
- I absolutely have no discipline. Yeah I may have THOUGHT I had everything together and wasn’t one to get caught up in indulging in too much of anything, but ‘Orange is the New Black’ quickly turned me into a feen, always in need of a fix. By the way, does anyone know when Season 3 is dropping? *scratches arm*
- OITNB is the ONLY thing that can keep me away from spending time with my fiancé, Stevie. Confession: I may or may not have told him I was “working” a few times or gotten off the phone extra early, in order to fully indulge in OITNB. At least he’ll be proud to know I discovered the true way to show love consists of throwing pie.
- I crave, admire, and respect raw talent. Netflix could have chosen the undeniably talent of a Gabrielle Union or Lala Anthony, to be apart of their original series. Instead, they gathered a group of equally talented women of whom most of us have never heard of, and created pure magic. These ladies do a stellar job of bringing a women’s prison to LIFE. It’s almost hard to believe they’re actually acting. Can you imagine someone else playing the role of Daya Diaz, besides Dascha Polanco? Nope. Me neither.
- I’m not about that hood prison life. I hate to say it, but OITNB just may have pulled my “hood card”. Training a cockroach to run cigarettes? Getting impregnated by a prison guard and covering it up, by blaming another guard? Serving up bloody tampons for dinner, as an act of revenge. These things are completely foreign to me. Whew, chile. I am NOT about that prison life.
- I’d LOVE to write for a television show. Everyday I’m being stretched as a writer and learning not to shrink. Shows like ‘Scandal’, ‘Being Mary Jane’, and ‘Orange is the New Black’ challenges me to step my game all the way up. And just like that, I have a new goal to reach. Don’t believe me? Just watch.
Did you binge watch OITNB as well? What are we supposed to do with ourselves until Season 3?